Another jam-packed week of fun at Leeds Learning Disability Week
It’s set to be another week of fun at the annual Leeds Learning Disability Week, as local organisations come together to host a variety of activities which celebrate people with learning disabilities.
Commencing on the 18thJune, Learning Disability Week is a fantastic opportunity to support families and individuals by getting involved in events across the country. As every year, Leeds will be getting heavily involved in the week, hosting a number of fun events, there is something for everyone – from sports and dancing to crafts and upcycled fashion.
- 5-a-side football competition
- Tea party
- A sponsored walk, around Swinsty Reservoir
- Leeds people’s Parliament Council takeover
- Meanwood Fest – BBQ, disco, dancing and fancy dress
- Down Memory Lane – classic film viewings, vintage tea rooms, picture gallery and a sing-along
- Boccia Annual Tournament
- Strawberry Lane Dance Day
- Aspire Customer Awards & Photography Competition winners announced
- Leep 1 Café birthday celebrations
- Leep the Bridge Club Night
- Picnic in the Park
- Tenfold Learning Disability Awards 2018
- Fun Day at Wetherby Social Club
Throughout the week Leeds Mencap will also be encouraging family, friends and colleagues to get involved by taking part in the ‘Wear a Cap for Leeds Mencap’ campaign. The charity is asking people to wear a cap or a hat for a full day and donate a small amount of money.
Cath Lee, Chief Executive at Leeds Mencap said: “This year, together with our partners, we want to increase awareness of Leeds Learning Disability Week, encouraging corporates, families and individuals to get involved and show their support. Learning disabilities affect over 15,000 people in the Leeds area, and we want to provide support for as many people as possible.”
For a full timetable or further details about any of the events running throughout Leeds Learning Disability Week, please visit the Through The Maze website: www.through-the-maze.org.uk