Leeds is buzzing with a diverse range of theatre shows this November, from the rock ‘n’ roll panto “Robin Hood” at City Varieties to the enchanting “Nutcracker” by the Northern Ballet at Leeds Grand Theatre. Whether you’re a fan of musical classics or innovative new plays, Leeds has something to offer to ignite your imagination and stir your soul.
What are the top theatre shows to see in Leeds this November?
- Robin Hood: The Rock ’n’ Roll Panto – A rock anthem-filled panto at City Varieties (24th Nov – 7th Jan).
- Snow White – The classic tale at Carriageworks Theatre (24th Nov – 7th Jan).
- The Enormous Crocodile – Roald Dahl’s musical at Leeds Playhouse (2nd Dec – 6th Jan).
- Oliver! – The musical adaptation of Dickens’ story at Leeds Playhouse (24th Nov – 27th Jan).
- A Christmas Carol – Dickens’ festive narrative at Carriageworks Theatre (8th – 10th Dec).
- The Nutcracker – The Northern Ballet’s seasonal performance at Leeds Grand Theatre (29th Nov – 10th Dec).
Leeds’ eclectic theatre scene sparkles this November with a dazzling array of performances. From musical classics to innovative new plays, the city’s stages beckon with tales to stir the soul and kindle the imagination. This guide is your key to unlocking the theatrical treasures that Leeds has to offer.
Pantomimes and Family Delights
The season of family-oriented fun kicks off with the unique spin on a classic at City Varieties. Robin Hood: The Rock ’n’ Roll Panto (24th November 2023 – 7th January 2024) is an unorthodox mashup you won’t want to miss. This panto infuses standard fare like audience participation with rock anthems, ensuring a rollicking good time for all ages.
Switching to a more traditional lane, the beloved tale of Snow White graces the Carriageworks Theatre stage (24th November 2023 – 7th January 2023). The age-old story of beauty, jealousy, and the triumph of goodness promises a visual feast and a heartwarming experience for families.
For an enchanting musical encounter, look no further than The Enormous Crocodile at Leeds Playhouse (2nd December 2023 – 6th January 2024). This musical adaptation of Roald Dahl’s children’s classic will delight young audiences as the cunning crocodile hunts for his next meal.
Musical Extravaganzas and Classical Tales
Leeds Playhouse is setting the stage for Oliver! (24th November 2023 – 27th January 2024), where Charles Dickens’ narrative comes to life in this award-winning musical adaptation. Heartrending songs like ‘Food, Glorious Food!’ are sure to strike a chord with audiences while unfolding the plight of young Oliver Twist.
In a world premiere, I Should Be So Lucky lands at Leeds Grand Theatre (12th – 30th December 2023). The show promises a journey through over 30 songs that defined an era, wrapped around the story of Ella and Nathan, a couple navigating the precarious path of love and marriage.
For those who favor classic literature, A Christmas Carol at Carriageworks Theatre (8th – 10th December 2023) offers a festive treat. Dickens’ timeless tale of Ebenezer Scrooge’s transformation from miser to benefactor is a narrative that captures the essence of the Christmas spirit.
Modern Twists and Seasonal Stories
The Nutcracker, performed by the Northern Ballet at Leeds Grand Theatre (29th November – 10th December 2023), presents a seasonal story against Tchaikovsky’s enchanting music. Audiences can immerse themselves in Clara’s fantastical adventure with her Nutcracker prince, accompanied by a magical winter wonderland setting.
For an edgier, modern take on the festive season, check out Santa Must Die! at Leeds Playhouse (12th – 16th December 2023). This gig theatre show combines the energy of a live band with the narrative of a Christmas Eve that’s anything but conventional.
In a caper that will keep the whole family on the edge of their seats, Sorry, Christmas is Cancelled… Katie Saves the Day takes the spotlight at Carriageworks Theatre (17th – 31st December 2023). It’s a race against time for Katie as she strives to retrieve the stolen Christmas gifts.
The Leeds theatre scene this November is as varied as it is vibrant. Each performance, whether a time-honored classic or a bold new production, represents the best of live theatre. With such a rich selection, audiences are sure to find their hearts captivated and their spirits lifted. Be sure to secure your tickets and partake in the exceptional theatrical offerings this city has on display.
- “Robin Hood: The Rock ’n’ Roll Panto” is a rock anthem-filled panto at City Varieties from November 24th to January 7th.
- “Snow White” is a classic tale being performed at Carriageworks Theatre from November 24th to January 7th.
- “The Enormous Crocodile” is a musical adaptation of Roald Dahl’s book at Leeds Playhouse from December 2nd to January 6th.
- “Oliver!” is a musical adaptation of Charles Dickens’ story at Leeds Playhouse from November 24th to January 27th.
- “A Christmas Carol” is a festive narrative being performed at Carriageworks Theatre from December 8th to December 10th.
- “The Nutcracker” by the Northern Ballet is a seasonal performance at Leeds Grand Theatre from November 29th to December 10th.